A Level Physical Education
An Advanced level qualification in the subject is rapidly becoming an essential pre-requisite for specialist study in Physical Education and Sports Studies in Higher Education
Why Study A Level Physical Education?
“I love A Level PE, it has helped me understand PE and Sport in much more detail and my performance level has improved dramatically through the coursework”. Student
An Advanced level qualification in the subject is rapidly becoming an essential pre-requisite for specialist study in Physical Education and Sports Studies in Higher Education, and it is also a suitable qualification for other areas of study. The course provides an excellent foundation for candidates intending to pursue careers in teaching and coaching, sports development, the Leisure industry, Recreation management, the Health and Fitness industry and Professional Sport.
Why choose an A level in Physical Education
- This course will enable students to critically analysis and evaluate their physical performance and apply their experience of practical activity in developing their knowledge and understanding of the subject
- The course will fully prepare learners for the further study of PE or sports science as well as other related subject areas such as psychology, sociology and biology.
- Learners will also develop the transferable skills that are in demand by further education
- 3 exams at the end of the 2 year course
- Combined weighting of 70%
- 30% overall mark-
- 2 hours long
- 90 marks
- Content is: Anatomy and Physiology, Exercise Physiology and Biomechanics
- 20% overall mark
- 1 hour long
- Content is Skill Acquisition, and Sports Psychology
- 20% overall mark
- 1 Hour long
- 60 marks
- Content is Sport and Society and Contemporary issues in physical activity and sports
Non examined assessment
- Practically assessed in one sport either coach or player – 15%
- Verbal exam on evaluating a performance and improving that performer- 15%
Exam Code: H155 and H555
Where the course leads
A level PE is rapidly becoming an important qualification for specialist study in PE and Sports studies in Higher Education, as well as a suitable qualification for a very broad range of other degree courses. The course provides an excellent foundation for students intending to pursue careers in Teaching and Coaching, the leisure industry, Recreational Management, the Health and Fitness industry and Professional Sport.
Grade 6 in GCSE PE or Grade 6 in GCSE Biology.
Mr S Pope
PE Subject Lead